Monologue : Lydia Bennet

Lydia Bennet:

“He lied to me! Even though I was foolish, I am not dumb I realized my situation after a while and I regretted even wasting a second with him, but I was so amazed that a handsome man like Wickham, would want to go on the claim me.

I was young then and you know what it’s like to want to fall in love.

I’ve always heard my mother talking about marrying so I figured…  I loved Wickham, at least I thought I did, and I thought he loved me. Only to find out it wasn’t me but money.

However, when I ran away Wickham knew I had barely any fortune to my name, so he couldn’t possibly be looking for revenge against me, can he? I can’t believe Wickham was actually fleeing the regiment, as he had racked up a huge debt he couldn’t pay. So of course, he let me tag along because he was aware that I liked him, and in doing so he would have me as a female companion, but I grew to learn he had no intention of marrying me. It broke my heart when I realized this.

I always wondered why we didn’t just move to Scotland where we could have gotten married immediately but instead we had to “shack up” in London. We continued to remain unmarried. Until I found it very strange when Darcy came looking for us. But know I understand it was Darcy’s bribe that persuades Wickham to marry me.

How upsetting!

Mr. Wickham is an awful human being, he clearly led me to believe we were going to get married. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have ran away with him if I had known the truth. All I wanted was to get married and make my mother and father proud.

I even lived with him before marriage even though it wasn’t considered proper, I didn’t care as I thought we were to be married. I felt so disgusted in constantly asking Elizabeth for money because we were forever in debt, but that is the choice I made, and know I have to live with it.

If it is one thing I have learned from this, it is to only marry for love and don’t accept an obnoxious man just for financial security, so take it from me it’s not worth it. Take your time to find your true love and forget about wealth or social status.

3 thoughts on “Monologue : Lydia Bennet

1. Dear Amika,

First of all, I love the creativity of this blog piece. It’s not often I get to see a monologue from one of the characters, and choosing a secondary character the audience doesn’t really have an opportunity to connect to like Lydia was something I never would have expected.

I thought this piece was wonderful. It was a complete reflection of Lydia in a completely different light, and seeing her feelings toward Wickham change like this is something I really wanted to see in the novel and couldn’t. I especially appreciated the feelings of guilt and remorse embedded in the text, and I could tell Lydia is a different version of the one we saw previously.

One thing I would suggest is to just be careful when it comes to grammar and punctuation because there were a few missing commas and semicolons that I saw. Nonetheless, it was a beautiful piece and I can’t wait to read more of your work.

With love,
    Alysha

2. Dear Amika,

Thank you for sharing a monologue! It is not something I see very often and it was very interesting to hear from the perspective of a character I’ve already read about. But, you chose a character that was not constantly in the spotlight; yet, still peaked an interest in the readers. Lydia was very entertaining so thank you for providing us with another oppurtunity to hear from her.

I loved the completely new take you had on the realtionship at hand. This completely contrasted the Lydia we saw in the novel – infatuated with the idea of love and marriage. You put a refreshing twist on a draining character.

I agree with Alysha, the grammar and punctuation could use some work.

It was a really inventive piece and I think it paid off!

Harmehar

3. Dear Amika,

Thank you for your amazing monologue. I really liked how you thought out of the box, for this post. Not many people believe that Lydia would have the capacity to understand that ‘love of her life’ did not love her, but just her money.

I agree with Hermehar when she says that this is a complete contrast to the Lydia we interpreted from the novel. You had brought Lydia in a whole new light since in the novel all we saw was a young, naive girl that was blinded by the want for marriage.

I agree with both Harmehar and Alysha, the grammar and punctuation could be improved, but that is an easy fix.

Thank you so much for this piece.

Sincerely,
    Enameka